Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:45:31 -0400
---
Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Next Generation Nutrition

>Michael Audette wrote to Tod:
>  In body lifting (I presume you meant body building!?), you do the same number of reps.,
and increase the weight over time. This makes large bulky muscle. When you train lift, you
increase the number of reps., and keep the weight the same. This produces leaner, denser
and faster muscles, used in the art or sport of fighting.
>Muscle without bulk.

I think people have a lot of misconceptions about body building and weight lifting.  For
ex. many people (esp. women) think that if they keep increasing the weights they lift they
will become bulky looking.  It aint necessarily so.  The muscle comic body builders one
sees in the magazines now a days are (a) genetic freaks and (b) on steroids.  If the
average Joe lifts increasingly heavier weights he is not going to look like freaky Dorian
Yates (a guy with a bloated belly and legs so wide he looks like he waddles when he
walks).  Nor will women look like Kim Chizevsky (a lady on drugs who looks like she sports
a man's body if you cover her face).  Btw:  she looked fit and sexy in pictures from her
earlier days and she was strong then/drug free too.

I know of women who gained 10, 15, or 20 pounds of lean mass and did not look BULKY.  They
went down in clothes size and sported trimmer waists, leaner thighs, and overall more
feminine looking bodies.  Muscle gives you SHAPE (and shapely curves), not necessarily
bulk!!!  I have a picture on my bulletin board of a woman who can deadlift 220 pounds and
squat with 160 pounds.  Does she look bulky?  HELL NO!  (Sorrry!)  If you saw this picture
you'd say she looks like a beaty queen (but healthier)!  You can go down in clothes size
BY ADDING MUSCLE to your frame.

If a person wants to make body comp changes--excessive aerobics can cause muscle wasting,
which will lower the metabolic rate.  Diet alone isn't the answer as most people have a
pitifally low lean mass by age 25, 30 or 40 and therefore don't burn many calories at rest
and can't eat much food without getting or staying fat (juvenile onset diabetics
excluded).

Progressively increasing the weights lifted will give you more FAT BURNING FURNACES and a
more pleasing shape (naked or clothed!!).  Getting stronger and gaining muscle is THE way
to go (with a good diet) if you want to lose fat for life and be trim--even if you never
plan to set food on a stage in a teeny bikini or tiny posing trunks.  Those folks with
bulging muscles on stage go to great lengths to make their muscles STAND OUT --with
dieting, dehydration, tanning booths or creams, oils, (and in some cases drugs too!).
They rarely look like that in street clothes.  HOWEVER, some of the women (and men) and
who look ripped to shreds (or bulky) in magazines or on stage, actually look MUCH SMALLER
when you stand next to them, they are not flexed, oiled, dehydrated, etc.

So, I say:  Todd and others...if you want to look grated naked and clothed, be able to
hold your body in an upright posture (many people can't do this....check it out at the
post office and anywhere else there's furniture for people to lean on), be active, burn a
lot of calories so you can eat a satisfying volume of tasty and healthy food, and be able
to carry your own groceries and luggage in your later years.....  PROGRESSIVE STRENGTH
TRAINING IS THE ANSWER.

Okay, off my soap box!
Rachel