Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:15:23 -0400
Stacie Tolen posted this:
>>I'm wondering whether it's ok to continue taking fish liver oil at this time,
>>considering the high amount of vitamin A. I'm assuming that the vit A in
fish oil is not retinol??? Input greatly appreciated.

Reply:
It is safe to take cod liver oil during pregnancy.  Primitive peoples around
the world have given pregnant and lactating women special foods rich in
Vitamins A and D.  You might want to pick up a copy of Dr. Ron Schmid' book
*Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine* to read about this.  One teaspoon
of cod liver oil contains 4500 units of vitamin A which is less than the RDA
for vitamin A.  It's safe to take up to a teaspoon per day while pregnant.

It would be wise to make sure to eat dark leafy greens twice a day if you
are not already. Great choices include kale, collards, mustard and turnip
greens, also broccoli.  Choose the darkest  leaf lettuces when eating
salads.  Mesclun mixes are a great choice.  They are particularly rich in
vitamins and minerals that nourish the body and are important for you
developing baby---including calcium, magnesium, folic acid, vitamin C, and
many others.  Dark leafy greens contain nutrients that help with breast milk
production, including vegetable source omega 3s (LNA).

Also, seek out wild deep ocean fish from a reputable seafood shop in your
area.  That would be very helpful to add to your weekly diet, if you don't
already eat such fish regularly.  (I think you mentioned liking fresh tuna
and others some time ago).

You could grind raw liver and mix it into meatloaf or meatballs, using a
ratio of 3 parts beef to 1 part liver, to moderate the flavor.  Another
(easier) option:  Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons dried, powdered liver into 6 ounces
low salt tomato or veggie juice (Muir Glen makes a bottled brand). NOW FOODS
sells dried powdered liver from Argentine sources. The product has nothing
added; it is very pure and convenient.

Be well,

Rachel