From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:45:33 -0400
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:17, Paula wrote:

>Like Art DeVany, he criticizes long distance running because he says long
>duration exercise makes the heart and lungs more efficient but reduces their
>reserve capacity.  He posits that reserve capacity is more important than
>efficiency for survival.  He cites a 2000 Harvard study that found that men
>who performed short bouts of intense exercise reduced heart disease risk by
>20 % and those who did endurance exercise reduced their risk by 10 %.
>
>The book is "The Doctor's Heart Cure" by Al Sears, MD

You can sign up for weekly bulletins from his website:

http://www.alsearsmd.com/content/

In these he often touts supplements BUT, almost always tells the reader what the natural
source of these is. One of his favourites is CoQ10, but he also lists the natural sources.
CoQ10 is, you will recall a vital nutrient which is naturally manufactured in a healthy body.
Its production is hampered by statins.

I appreciate Sears' balance, but I have to say he's one of the worst at rambling on and on
when he's doing his "sell" for a product: screen after screen of almost empty waffle that is
supposed to tempt potential buyers, and pictures of professional models beside dubious, too-
good-to-be-true testimonials. Even his weekly bulletins ramble and have spelling errors. I
suspect he dictates them and hands them on to others to post to the Web. Perhaps its
dictating through which he achieves a relaxed conversational style.

Having said those few negative things, I'm prepared to dive down below them for the pearls.
His PACE (R) book is one of the best on overall fitness - but again he pads out into 100
pages what could easily be covered in two. Despite that, because it is fundamentally sound,
I'd still recommend it as among the best value for money out there. His latest book is on the
virtues of natural sunlight for health (vitamin D, bone health, skin health etc) and once again
he gets it pretty right. Sears targets us baby boomers and hits our buttons!

Another positive thing to add: Al Sears' language level is very simple. He's a good
communicator without being patronizing. To this extent, his work is accessible to school
drop-outs, not just those like us who read and write and think in abstract terms with ease
every day. All his books are reasonably-priced and, if you subscribe to his newsletters, you'll
get EVERYTHING that's in his book scattered here and there over a few months.

I'd have to say I recommend him highly. You'll need a critical mind and information he does
not provide if you want to understand HOW things work, but if you are uncritical, you can
still get the full health benefit of his work by following his advice.

Keith