From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:08:31 -0400
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Dori Zook wrote:

> Sorry, Schmidt, but the animals eaten by early humans were higher in fat
> that the prey of this era.

I think it's more accurate to say that *some* of the animals
available to *some* humans in *some* locations, *some* of the
time were higher in fat than animals such as deer, elk, and the
like.  But that's about as far as you can go.

> 99.9% of those of us on the list EAT MEAT (and lots of it).  You'll never
> convince the vast majority of us to give it up no matter how hard you try.

I don't think Amadeus has ever tried to persuade anyone on this
list to give up meat.  I also don't think he has ever argued that
meat was not part of the diet of paleolithic diet.  What he does
argue is that the importance of meat and fat in paleolithic diet
are overemphasized in books such as Neanderthin, and by those of
us who eat almost nothing but meat and call our diets "paleo."
And even though I count myself among those whose diet is
dominated by meat, I have to admit that Amadeus's position has
some merit, and furthermore it appears to be gaining ground among
paleoanthropologists.  I doubt that we will find a simple answer
to this one.

Todd Moody