From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:57:05 +0100
>Why would pro-raw dairy arguments be relevant to a paleo diet?  Dairy
>products are part of a neolithic diet.

I'm afraid you made a slight error of assumption. I was looking for
scientific data to prove raw-dairy  was harmful rather than beneficial for
humans - after all, this is an appropriate forum for such, as paleolithic
diets are anti-dairy. Appreciate the link given, but, IMHO, all it really
proves is that raw cows' milk is the  perfect food for calves - and there've
been some  rather good critical debunkings of the famous Pottenger study
cited in the text, such as on www.beyondveg.com.

Raw-meat based diets for humans are generally given the vague term "raw,
paleolithic diets". Unfortunately, most of these diets, ironically, have a
majority of raw foods in them that are most definitely not Paleolithic in
concept(such as the raw dairy, juiced veg(Palaeo man had no juicers),
fermented grains(for those who follow a rawish  version of the Weston-Price
Diet, and so on. Anyway, the primary reason why so many quit these diets,in
the long run,  is due to mild to severe health-problems caused by those very
Neolithic foods. I am well aware of the extensive, undisputed  documentation
covering the negative effects of pasteurised dairy, but given all the
personal accounts re health problems that so many  routinely encounter with
raw dairy etc. on an all-raw diet, it's always useful to find out more
additional info to counter dodgy views held by raw-dairy advocates.

As for adaptation to dairy, I'm inclined to believe   Cordain  and other
Paleo researchers  who  state that the time-period in which we've been
drinking (raw) dairy(a mere 450 human generations or 9,000 years) isn't
anywhere near  enough to develop  the necessary genetic changes required for
proper adaptation. However, I quite agree that some humans have developed a
partial (or perhaps even  full) tolerance for raw dairy, if not an
adaptation, as such - I'm certainly not one of them.

Geoff

Could you be the guest MSN Movies presenter? Click Here to Audition
http://www.lightscameraaudition.co.uk