From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:44:51 -0700
> At the risk of angering some people, I would like
> to ask you the following question.  Dont you think
> that there are limits imposed upon your bodies and
> after a certain point diet changes make no
> differences?(In other words a plateau).  I say this
> because it seems that a lot of people on this list
> go into minute details about diet.  I am wondering
> if after finding a diet that is generally good for
> you, if it might not be a good idea to just stick
> with that and not spend all of your time chasing
> after the dream of the perfect (down to the last
> detail) diet.

Diminishing returns, eh? I agree with this up to a
point. I think you can definitely cause yourself more
problems by fretting and sweating over the the
minutest details than the benefits received by
"solving" them.

However, the personality type of the individual has a
lot to do with this. I remember reading a very
inspiring article by Dave Draper (a bodybuilder of the
60'a and 70's). He made the point that a lot of folks,
in order to see improvement, had to treat their new
lifestyle (bodybulding in his mind) as a "hobby" - to
focus as much attention on it as any other hobby they
might indulge in.

Consider other hobbies. If you are a musician - for
example- you might spend hours getting that sequence
of notes, or perhaps a particular guiter rift, "just
right". Or, if you raise some kind of animal for show,
you'll probably spend an inordinant amount of time
grooming/exercising/training the animal. And so on.

Dave's point was that changing the focus of diet and
exercise from just "diet and exercise" to "this is my
hobby - I'll approach it as such" forced people to
treat it as something that is important to them,
rather than just another set of 'rules I have to
follow'.

Is this a paleo approach? Nah. Paleo's probably spent
very little time thinking about such things - they
more likely relied on their own instincts (or pure
chance) when it came to their health. We moderns,
however, are so far removed from instinct that it
makes sense to percieve the world in a different way
from our long lost ancestors.