From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:49:03 -0600
> Once you start to take into account physiological principles of modern
> technological medicine, ie "serum lipids" "vitamins" "essential fatty
acids",
> then you have shifted to an entirely different principle, namely "how do I
make
> the body run at its best using all of modern technological knowledge?".
>
> Once you do that, you are doing a "Zone" diet, or perhaps as some have
called it
> a "Paleo Zone" diet.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Ken

After discussing this issue in depth with Dr. Cordain, I have come to
believe it is necessary to address such issues in the context of discussing
a paleo diet--especially with people who are new to the concept. Simply for
the reason that many people who attempt to simulate a paleo diet do so
imperfectly at best and dangerously at worst. I'm not talking about counting
or weighing foods--just assuring that one eats a sufficient variety of
animal and plant foods to ensure adequate vitamin and mineral intake and a
paleo-like intake of the different kinds of fats. If you disagree with the
importance I ascribed to these caveats, then you also disagree with some of
the leading authorities in the field of paleo nutrition. There's a reason
why Dr. Cordain publishes papers related to these subjects. They are highly
important considerations. One disregards them at one's peril.

Troy G.