From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:08:37 +0200
Anna L. Abrante wrote:

>Is there anyone out there that knows where I might find information

>foods native to Spain prehistorically?
>My family is from there originally and as someone mentioned on this

>list some
>time ago, perhaps it might be a good thing to try to mimic a diet

>that we
>probably evolved from literally, assuming we know where we

>originated.

Hi Anna,
nice to hear from your Spanish origin. Beeing from a specific Country
in Europe is trackable to historical roots.
These are always neolithic.
Nevertheless I'd call it a good idea to consider the last few
dozends of generations and their (neolithic) nutrition specially.

Spanish roots are (neglecting the arabic influence) Gothic ones,
where the Goths overlayed the present roman-celt-iberic population.
Goths come from the island Gotland (Sweden and later spread in tribes
over Europe) at about 400 a.d..
Celtic culture emerged in an area in France and southern Germany
at about 1000 b.c. (possibly from local sources).
This culture (and people) also spread all over Europe
(later France Germany Spain England Ireland Italy ....
Danube countries, even Turkey).

Before that, was the first neolithic culture in Europe (Linear)
which also did spread all over Middle Europe (time until 4400 b.c.),
comeing from the middle east over Greece and Balkan.
There are indications that that culture's people mixed up with
already existing mesolitic people in middle Europe.

Up to this time back, all origins are pure neolithic, based on
growing grain and pulsees as a "motor" and main foodstuff.
Therefore all people originating from European roots
(white USA, latino, "whites") can consider themselves to be
relatives not more then 6000 years back.
Notable exceptions are
-all kinds of "aboriginals" (australian g/h)
-native america north or south (own neolithic or g/h culture)
-arabic area (a little more than 6000 years away, maybe 12000)
-blacks and asiatic
 (not more than 120000 years away. this is the earliest anatomical
  modern human fossil found in africa)

>During my own research about this topic I learned that the Basque in

Spain
>are some of the oldest people known, similar to the Neanderthal's in

France.

Basques are linguistically different, therefor more than 3000 years
away (before celtic epoch).
But they are certainly anatomical modern humans ("so called" :-) )
and far far away from Neanderthals (probably 600000 years away)
The AMH's (= Cro Magnon)  came to Europe at about 30000 years back,
replacing the previous existing Neanderthals
(in the WHOLE world, not only Europe).

> And since so much of the world was populated by the
>Spanish....the odds are high....
And if you go back to our celtic/germanic roots you can
include English/French/Spanish influences as well.

As "little" as 120000 years ago (possibly only 30000 years)
virtually *all* humans are relatives from one source.

As little as 6000 (or even 3000) years ago,
most of us are - relatives - same roots.

regards

Amadeus

---
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net