From:
Deborah Birkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 01:15:34 -0500
When I was researching the foods to which I am allergic, one of which is
corn, I read that dextrose is used in the iodization process, (can anyone
confirm this?) so I've avoided iodized salt since then. Since I am also
severely hypoglycemic, I would have needed to avoid it for that reason
anyway.

It makes me a little concerned about not having enough iodine in my diet
though, so I occasionally take a supplement that includes some kelp, which
I believe contains iodine. I still wonder if I'm getting "enough," but I'm
not sure what "enough" would be. Is iodine essential? How much do we need?
I know it's supposed to prevent goiters, but who knows whether that's a
scientific fact or another food marketing myth. Since getting sick, I
question every single thing about food, no matter how obvious or widely
believed.

Deborah