Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:18:09 -0700
Andrea Hughett wrote:
> I am not getting the RDA for potassium...but wonder if that is set artificially high in order to balance the admittedly inflated recommended intake of sodium. If the body actually needs that much K, it would mean many of us need to rethink our levels of plant consumption.

I read somewhere, and I cannot recall exactly were, that paleo man got
about 11,500 mg/day of potassium.  The RDA, depending on where one
reads, is now 4700 mg/day.  The max daily amount is about 21,000 mg/day.
> Traditional Inuit don't have hypertension, though, nor, I assume, did Stefansson and his friend, so optimum K levels would have to be within the limits obtainable from a largely carnivorous diet, wouldn't you think?

While the Inuit diet can teach us something, it isn't representative of
a paleo diet since paleo diets got 20-40 percent of their calories from
carbs, usually low density very high fiber types.  The Austrian
Aboriginal diet which has been studied in detail is more representative.

Steve