From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:27:27 -0400
Richard Keene wrote:

> Seems to me that allergies are highly individual.  We on the Paleo diet
> try to claim that eating Paleo is good for everyone.  That may not be
> true.
> There may be people that are alergic to most of the things on a
> Paleo diet, and not alergic to grains. They might be better off on a
> food pyramid diet.  (Yikes Blasphemy!)

Your ideas don't seem blasphemous to me.  However, I would add that some
foods have more allergenic potential than others, and the paleodiet, as
described on this list, prohibits most of them.  But you can develop an
allergy to anything.

> Also someone
> on a Paleo diet and having alergic reactions may be reacting to
> something completely different.  For example, they may be cooking
> on the stove more (all that meat) and the teflon in the pan is
> a plastic and they react to that.  Or they could be reacting
> to lighterfluid from their barbecue cooker.  Who knows?

I remember reading (in "Brain Allergies," I think) the story of a woman
who seemed to be allergic to everything, until the problem was traced to
her aluminum cookware.

> The true proof of the suitability of any diet is what works
> for YOU and your particular immune makeup.  It also takes
> time, patience, and experimentation to arrive at the correct
> diet, which then may change over the years.

Absolutely.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland