From:
"Aaron A. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:39:58 -0500
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Richard Archer wrote:

> >(By the way, I noticed that the package of pecans I bought said it had
> >four grams total carbs and three grams fiber carbs.  That's a three to one
> >ratio of fiber carbs to digestible carbs. However, when I accessed the
> >USDA database online through Nutrition Analysis Tool at
> >http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~food-lab/nat/mainnat.html pecans were listed at
> >five grams total carbs and only two grams fiber carbs.  That's a much less
> >attractive two to three ratio.  Does anyone know what sources of
> >nutritional information are reliable?

Note that I have checked the information in the SR12 database, and it
agrees with the SR8 database.

> In general the data supplied on the back of the pack is probably more
> reliable than the database, as the supplier is likely to have tested
> product with a similar composition to the one in the pack.
>
> The USDA data refers to a sample of food that may bear little resemblance
> to the food in your package :)

If this is true, and for all I know it may be, then it would appear that
pecans are as good or better than macadamia nuts for someone attempting to
restrict carbohydrate intake.  Can this result be correct?  Does anyone
have experience eating pecans and their effects?

Aaron A. Weiss