From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 09:41:01 -0400
Hello everyone ...

I'm new to this list and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a woman
(don't
let the name throw you) who was recently "diagnosed" (no biopsy) with
neuro
celiac disease.  Through trial and error I've found that the usual
celiac
diet does not agree with me.  I seem to need to avoid ALL grains and
ALL
starch as well.  A friend told me about this listserv.  Because there
have
been so many years of going to doctors and not getting an answer to
what
was the problem, I have some pretty extensive damage to undo over
time.
I've also been diagnosed with leaky gut, and I know from experience
that I
have food allergies (as well as gluten/starch intolerance) to things
like
nuts at this juncture. I recently attempted eating a 24-hour fermented
yogurt, but that did not sit well with me, either.  So dairy is out.
My
diet at present is meats, vegetables, and limited fruit (and some
butter
and olive oil). I recently had a bone scan done, which revealed
osteopenia
from all the years of malabsorption -- which is why I wanted to
increase
calcium in any way I could.  I'm trying to rotate my foods every four
days,
as well, to help with allergic reactions.  I'm quite thin 5'5"/110
pounds,
and I'm afraid of losing even more weight.  In short, I've got probs
at
present.

Two questions:

1) What would be optimal for me to do in order to maximally "up" my
calcium
intake (no nuts).

2) I was told to stop using my sea salt because it is not "iodized" --
that
the iodine evaporates during the harvesting process of sea salt, and
that
if I didn't use an iodized salt I wouldn't be providing my thyroid
with
what it needs to produce adequate hormones. (By the way, I have had
hypothyroid condition in the past).

Thanks for your comments.  I'm off to buy Neanderthin and will be more
knowledgeable shortly.  The little bit I know of the Paleo diet makes
intuitive sense.  Looking forward to being part of the listserv.

Latimer
New York City

---
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.