From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:25:03 -0800
Hi Don,
I think this raises an interesting issue that is relevant to some work I am
doing now. It seems to me that each of us made up of a slurry of genes which
echo a unique adaptation to a variety of environments. Especially in the
last several centuries, there has been tremendous mixing of genes as people
have become increasingly more mobile. My own heritage speaks to that. I have
blue eyes, a fair complexion and my hair was blonde until I was about ten.
Yet I have recently traced my maternal great-grandmother who was part Cree.
On my father's side, his mother descended from a group of Cajuns, many of
whom had negroid features. My grandmother was no exception. Added to this
racial mix, I have also found English, Irish, Scottish, German or Swiss, and
French in my background. So my genes are not restricted to the old world and
I may also be genetically connected to Africa. So the Paleofood perspective
is a murky one for me. It gets worse as I look at the various regional
adaptations that I may or may not have inherited.

I have therefore adopted a different approach. I monitor my daily fasting
glucose, resting blood pressure, urinary ketones, and weight. The
combination has taught me a great deal about myself. And I can see some
echoes of my heritage in my dietary needs. The working title of my current
project is "Discover Your Genetic FoodPrint". I think it is instructive far
beyond the basic springboard of the Paleofood perspective. And it transcends
the idea that the shift to Paleolithic lifeways was a one-and-done event. To
some extent that transition is still operating in a few isolated cultures.
Best Wishes,
Ron