From:
Ben C Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 16:43:38 -0700
Hi judy,

>>On the day the reporter was there, it was -10C (8F)  and the prison
staff
were well bundled up against the cold but the Inuit men were wearing only
thin cotton shells over short sleeved T shirts. In another article I read
about Inuit seal hunters, they mentioned that they had bare hands in -30C
(-22F) weather but didn't feel the cold as long as they ate their native
diet.<<

I'm a newbie to this group, and this is my first post. I find the topics
very stimulating, and provocative. This one in particular has me thinking
double time. It occurs to me that the inuits and the Lapps are the living
proof of what the so-called caveman diet must essentally have consisted
of. The environment from which they came, required animal fats for their
basic survival. That much is quite clear. It's also known that the cold
reaches of the far north, or the hostile environments of very high
altitiudes, necessitate the consumption of animals fats to prevent
dysentery, hypothermia, and  extreme dehydration. Without available
dietary carbohydrates in that environment, the cellular level glucose
must have been supplied by the blubber/fats and thus prevented
hyperinsulinemea, and IRS.

My question is...can this dietary adaptation be achieved in the more
moderate temperatures also?... and if so, what mechanism is required to
affect such an adaptation? The whole diabetic world awaits the answer!!

Best regards,

Ben in Seattle