From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:34:31 -0500
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:42:07 -0500, Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Adrienne >  I'm still dubious of Rosedale's claims regarding saturated
fat. I think he's merely bowing to popular pc diet theory ie saturated fat
is bad to keep his publisher happy.

>I was unsure as well.  But there are some pretty solid studies out there
that seem to show a link between sat fat and insulin resistance.  Plus it's
the only thing that explains my relatively high blood glucose levels
despite my healthy weight and excellent lipid profile.  His theory that you
have to cut out sat fat to lose sat fat seems to me a little strange,
though.  Not to mention the whole leptin conversation.  But his program
seems to work.

>--
 I think his program works because he is regulating protein intake.  There
are human studies with type 2 diabetics (I've printed links before in the
archives -- the studies are printed on Barry Groves' website) who lost
weight and improved lipids etc on high saturated fat, low carb regimes.  If
saturated fat in and of itself caused insulin resistance, I would think
that Type 2s would find it impossible to lose weight etc on a high
saturated fat regime.  I believe that saturated fat combined with high
carbs is the problem -- but not saturated fat alone.  And Rosedale himself
claims that once one has become a "good fat burner", saturated fats can be
reintroduced.  Sounds contradictory to me.  I've started regulating my
protein intake now and finishing eating at least 3 hours before bed.  My
schedule does not permit me to exercise after dinner and frankly, exercise
too late in the day makes it difficult for me to fall asleep.  So my
workouts will remain AM workouts.  I am NOT reducing saturated fat because
doing so leaves me hungry and I simply cannot eat reasonable portions of
nuts.  They taste too good to me and I can easily put down an entire bag so
I avoid them.  One thing I've noticed so far to my surprise is that I am
satiated on much smaller portions of protein provided I do not limit fat.
I think my large portion habit is just that -- a bad habit.  For example,
rather than just automatically preparing 2-3 eggs with a medium-large piece
of chorizo -- I can do just fine with 1-2 eggs and a measured 1 ounce of
chorizo.  Another example:  my husband and I would routinely purchase an
organic chicken and split it.  Now I find I'm satiated with just a leg or a
thigh or two -- provided of course I leave the skin intact or add other fat
to the meal.  Last example:  I've been buying bison medalians -- each is 6
oz.  There are 2 in a package so my husband and I would routinely each eat
one.  Now I find that I can do just fine on half a medalian.   Also, from
reading Protein Power years ago, I thought I "must" have 27-30 grams of
protein per meal and I'm becoming convinced that this just isn't the case
for a petite woman -- 5'2.5".  I'll report my results.  I'm hoping to
shed "those last 10 pounds".  Thanks again Jim for all your inspiring and
informative postings!