From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:51:55 +0100
At 22:29 1999-11-27 +1100, Ben wrote:
>The real thing about bread, rice, pasta, etc is that it has a GI of 80-90
>mostly. Therefore, 100 grams of bread will have the same effect on your
>blood sugar as 80-90g of sugar.

No! GI is mesured on the cardbohydrate content of the food, So this
should be read as: "bread to the amount of containing 100 grams carbo-
hydrate ..." Sugar is close to 100 % carbohydrate (I think there is a
little water and other things), but bread is far from 100% carbo.
When comparing food with lots of water or fibre, the actual weight of
the food to compare with is much higher.
Also there are two different ways to measure GI. The oldest is to
compare with pure glucos, wich is then set to GI=100, the newer one is
to use white bread instead, so this gets GI=100. So there are two
different scales around.

- Hans