From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:08:04 -0500
Hi, Janet,

I can't eat just a little watermelon.  I can eat a whole big watermelon <g>
right down to the rind.  One bite leads to not being able to stop.  But I
splurge at least once a year, or "splash" I should say since it also causes
me to have water retention for a couple of days despite all the trips to the
bathroom.  It may just be the amount of carbs overall that causes the water
retention but, again, I am practically powerless to stop once I take a bite.

Grapefruit is a favorite, and I thought for two years it was okay because
its glycemic index is low.  But it nonetheless triggers cravings when I eat
it.  The odd thing is my cravings immediately afterward are not specific for
any one kind of food.  All it makes me want to do is eat anything and
everything.  In Dec. we get grapefruit and oranges straight from a grower in
Fla.  When that supply ends in Feb. I buy grapefruit and oranges from the
Rio Grande Valley in Tex.  What these fruits have in common is that they are
VERY sweet.  That may be what the problem is, and maybe I wouldn't encounter
it with sourer citrus.  You think?

I always keep frozen blueberries from the grocery on hand.  But today, my
husband's receptionist brought us about 5 lbs of fresh, local blueberries.
They are huge and gorgeous and without doubt the sweetest blueberries that
have ever graced my tastebuds.  I probably scarfed down a cup or more of
them before I stopped myself.  But at least I was able to stop. And I
immediately got out my chicken salad to eat to counteract any insulin spike,
though bb are low-carb.  I'm going to have a hard time tonight with these
because they just taste so good I want to eat lots more.

Of course, high-sugar-content modern fruits hardly resemble their paleo
ancestors.  We have wild blueberry bushes down in the woods and those
berries are quite small.  They are nice and sweet, but nothing like the
frozen ones or the fresh I got today.

Theola