From:
Mary Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:34:44 EST
Dammit, I just hate it when someone disturbs my lurking!

 <<If truly wanted an education (as opposed to prestige or social status),
you would have invested in a public library card (about $1), instead of the
thousands of $$ you dropped for your degree.>>

By the criteria Justin is setting forth we might as well close down the
universities and just issue library cards.

<< And nothing against degrees (I'm working on my BS myself), but quit
boasting about it.>>

She wasn't boasting.  She was stating a fact.

<<The fact that anthropology doesn't relate to paleo, is only *more* reason
that Robyn is trying to impress somone with her piece of paper.  >>

I consider anthropology very relevant to paleo.

<<There's a lot of people on this list who are smarter than Robyn and have
never stepped foot in a college class. >>

Firstly, how do you happen to know exactly how smart Robyn is? Secondly, just
what is your point???

<< Additionally, it also weakens her argument in the sense that
it shows that she is not very bright for even mentioning such a thing.>>

This is a personal insult and totally uncalled for.

<< I could learn enough to get into the networking field with only 2-3 months
of reading and training, but thanks to those that believe (or is it have
'faith') in the educational system, I have to take 4 years out of my life
just to impress some idiot who will hire me at a job interview for my piece
of paper.>>

By your logic I could have taught myself accounting.  Very scary thought for
my clients.  Do yourself and prospective idiot employers a favor and consider
the entrepreneurial route.

Mary Steele
BBA, summa cum laude (but then I must not be very bright for having the
audacity to mention it.)