From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 11:12:56 -0700
I am making pemmican, first time. I have rendered fat, but am having
trouble drying the meat. Since it is very hot here I have to do it
outside, can't use the oven and don't have a dehydrator. If I leave meat
in the sun, it'll dry, but the bees and flies want to swarm onto it. I
considered tenting it with cheesecloth but that doesn't seem easy.

So I have put the outdoor gas grill on the lowest setting and am drying
and cooking it there, even though I don't want it cooked.  I figure this
batch will be partially cooked/dried meat, not raw/dried meat, so what?
I'll lose essential vitamins and nutrients but I'm not going to live on
this anyway, and I don't have a choice.

Anyone have advice on how to dry the meat without cooking it, for the
next batch? Thanks.

--Richard