From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:12:14 +0000
Re comment:-  "But how many of them are from direct ancestors. And not from prior
> migrations out of Africa that dead-ended.":-

I don't think it matters. There is the multiregional hypothesis which states that the various  hominids such as Homo Erectus, modern Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals all  interbred with each other, so it is seriously questionable as to whether such lines dead-ended. I just don't buy into the theory that these hominid species somehow just miraculously disappeared either due to being killed off by modern humans or from climate-change - the latter is extremely unlikely to wipe out species as intelligent as apemen were, and when one looks at modern warfare among humans, 100% genocide is also a rarity, as conquerors tend mostly to interbreed with the conquered peoples after successful wars.

Also, last I checked, the tiny handful of sites claimed re earlier periods of cooking are all  based outside Africa, though I may be wrong re this.

Geoff

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/