From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:20:31 -0800
There has been much comment about what lines the insides of our our colon.  Thirty
years ago I read a book by Dr. Herbert Shelton called Fasting Can Save Your Life.
I found the book difficult to accept, having graduated from a US university and
had been taught that you could only be healthy by eating three good balanced meals
each day.  I decided to test this idea of fasting.  I first started eating all of
the things I liked since I wouldn't be eating for a while.  This included Chinese
food, pizza, steak etc.  Then I began a water fast that lasted 48 days.  I went
from 142 pounds to 98 pounds.  I am 66 inches tall.  During this fast I had no
bowel activity for 37 days.  Dr. Shelton specifically said no colonics or enemas.
The idea being that the body had its own wisdom and not to interfere.  On the 37th
day I was standing up and suddenly realized that I had better get to the bathroom
quickly.  What came out was black tar like pieces that were curved like they had
been lining my colon.  Also there was a lot of white mucus that came out.  I had
no more bowel activity until I broke the fast 11 days later. I had been eating the
standard american diet for 29 years at that point in my life.  I did not have
diarrhea and basically considered myself in good health.  Today I weigh about 175
pounds and have more muscle and less fat than when I started the fast thirty years
ago.  Part of my problem was lack of sufficient activity.  After many variations
in diet (vegetarian, meat eating, vegan, raw food, fruitarian), I am now eating
mainly raw meat, raw cheese and fruit. Occasionally some vegetable juice or a
salad, definitely NO sproats. Nothing processed.  I have no idea what the inside
of my colon looks like now but I doubt that it still has a hard black coating
lining the inside.  Maybe one of these days I will decide to do another long water
fast and see what comes out but somehow I don't see this as eminent.  Fasting can
be healing but not really fun, eating is much more enjoyable. Bodies seem to be
very resilient, but DO NOT discount the effects that our diet of civilization can
do to it.