From:
Dennis Lawler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:26:01 -0600
Well, I don't want to be siding with Amadeus here but I was in Kenya just
this last December and talked personally with a couple of the Maasai on the
Mara reserve.  They consume a moderate amount of fruit regularly with their
milk and blood.  They also make VERY extensive and regular medicinal use of
herbs (the claim was over 50 different types).  For example, their approach
to medicine apparently uses copious amounts of herbs a month or so before
the malaria season kicks in to help fight the disease.

Meat is eaten, but doesn't make up as large a percentage of the diet as you
might have heard.  They claimed they only ate it maybe once or twice a week,
and often much less frequently.  No vegetables though.

Interestingly enough when different tribal members move to the city and
start adopting western ways their health supposedly goes downhill (the
biggest threat though is AIDS).  Everyone that I met seemed very healthy,
although I'm sure they didn't send the more unhealthy ones around to meet
the tourists! :-)

later..............Dennis