From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:59:10 -0500
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Andy wrote:

> I wonder how many of us are a hairs breadth away from
> success with our diets, but for some minor detail ?

That's a very good point to raise.  The devil is in the details.

> The inuit were not perfectly healthy, suffering from skeletal problems related
> to high meat/low calcium consumption. Heavy meat eaters should take note.

Note also that Stefansson and Anderson were measured as having
negative calcium balance during the entire year of their Bellevue
experiment, meaning that they were excreting more calcium than
they were taking in.

> Finally, the Copper Eskimos had a taboo prohibiting the consumption of vegetable
> matter ! Something to taunt our vegetarian friends with :)

I intend to ask the experts on the Paleodiet Symposium about
this, since caribou are allegedly quite lean.  Where were they
getting enough fat from?

Todd Moody