From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:52:38 -0400

That seems like a confusing contradiction. "Iron deficiency" means
abnormally low levels of iron, so I don't understand how your iron levels
could always have been "fine" with that diagnosis. Do you mean the
deficiency was a mild one or were you misdiagnosed?

It would not be at all surprising that iron pills did nothing while you were
eating a modern diet with grains like wheat because grains contain phytates
that bind with minerals like iron and thus reduce their absorption. Reducing
grain consumption would tend to improve mineral absorption and thus increase
tissue mineral levels without any increase in red meat, and thus possibly
account for the reduction of gray (nutrient-deficient) hair. The iron pills
would also have not reduced the damage done to your organs by autoantibodies
produced in response to a modern diet, whereas a more Paleo diet likely
would.

BTW, iron deficiency anemia is often also accompanied by copper deficiency,
and copper deficiency reduces the absorption of iron, and both iron and
copper deficiency can reportedly contribute to gray hair.

> Maybe greying is just a stress signal.  Maybe it was oxidative stress
> and other kinds of stress - insulin with sugar consumption maybe? -
> others?
> gale

Chronic stress is another of the many disorders of civilization that is rare
among hunter gatherer peoples. So chronic stress is a symptom of a modern
diet and lifestyle, rather than an underlying cause of modern disorders.
Chronic stress occurs in tandem with the other modern disorders, and acute
stress can aggravate the symptoms of many of those modern disorders, leading
many people to mistake stress for the underlying cause of modern disorders
when the more likely case is that both chronic stress and other modern
disorders like anemia are caused by discordant diet and lifestyle. Many
people who have adopted a Paleo diet report a reduction in chronic stress
and other modern disorders.