From:
Marco Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:09:52 -0500
Since this fall I have been adjusting my eating to the basic ideas of
the paleodiet. It strikes me that one of the most relevant factors in this
procedure have been a sort of limited deviations, by primarily integrating
the main pillars, namely
*No dairy
*No grain
   I have been reasoning in a way which has tended to allow a certain
amount of unhealthy substances as well as a certain imbalance in the
sources of nutrition. For instance I sometimes come to eat salty
charcuteries, smoked game steaks, salted jerky, smoked salmon and salty
marinades. I have placed the deconstruction of my severe cultural
conditioning on highest priority so as to defeat the greates strenght of
the cultural impulses involved in my food habits, leaving me free to choose
amongst a world of different options. This is not rarely in a way which
basically leads me up the garden path however, I seem to be fooling myself
into believing the products I buy really do not contain any hasardous
amounts of the unhealthy substances in question. I have found it so
difficult to shake off the cultural habits in my food intakes that I, for
example, through one period ate immoderate amounts of fruit. Thus I have
somehow reached a point where both salty and sweet tastes make me nauseous,
I feel myself at risk and physically inbalanced on a daily basis due to
insufficient food intakes. Furthermore I have gained weight and feel weak,
the other day I suddenly discovered that I have a double chin!
   Now the only foods which to me seem entirely paleolithic are
*Tender sprouts
*Game
*Unpoluted seafood
Which is where I begin wondering. It would very well be worth the while in
case these various deviations eventually lead up to a point of sheer
clarity both in the regular content of the diet and in its correspondance
to the virtual conditions which apply to my case.
Such a correspondance would in its essence mean various restrictions which,
for one thing, would imply no variation in the greens the diet includes. To
cope with the nervosity of culture one could simply indulge in unlimited
amounts of hot herbal digestion tea in a thermos always close at hand. But
is this 'static variation' healthy?
   It is hardly difficult to imagine that the cavemen were eating, in an
extension of time, that which their premisses allowed for, hence let's say
a few kilos of shoots and a couple of deers a week per group.