From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:19:02 -0500
Todd> "the most commonly used definition of 'paleo' on this list is this:
Edible by paleolithic people.  That means edible by people/hominids with
minimal technology....If a food is edible in the raw state, it's paleo.
Ray and Cordain claim that this excludes tubers.  They're just wrong.
There are tubers that are edible raw."

I like the concept of edible raw very much, but can see some room for
argument that it wasn't necessary.  Leaving that discussion aside for the
moment, let me say this.  The definition of paleo edibility is certainly an
empty one unless it also includes the concepts of availabililty and
preferability.  Many food items we'd love to justify as paleo simply
weren't available as food.  (Or if available, not recognizable as food).
And even if paleo man could find proto-potatoes, for instance, and
recognize them as something that could potentially satisfy some nutritional
need, short of starvation, he'd have to be pretty hard pressed to choose to
eat them.  I mean, which would you want: the meat and fat of freshly killed
buffalo, the sweet taste of ripened blackberries or bitter roots, the skins
of which probably caused you to barf all day long.  It's only been through
the farmers' selection of the larger potatoes over hundreds of years that
the meat to skin ratio has increased to its present state, and even then
you've got to peel and cook the suckers to be able to be able to identify
them as a preferable food source.