From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:34:56 -0400
Today's WSJ (Monday 4 June 2002) has a front page article about calorie
reduction diets. The article discusses evidence now available from a study
using primates that started in 1987 and appears quite promising.  The
Okinawans are also discussed, as having a CR diet consisting of soy,
veggies, rice and a bit of fish or animal protein here and there.

Interestingly, an Internet forum or maillist is discussed, people who are on
calorie reduced diet for optimal health, or Cronies, and the reporter uses
the "cronies" term to discuss a few members. There was a photograph of one
person looking very gaunt, and a description of his cooking up big sprout
salads in his basement.

Several years ago we had an active discussion here from some CR
enthusiasts...anyone still around who is following paleo CR?

I read Roy Walford's book "The 120 Year Diet" in the early nineties and
followed a CR diet for several years. I found that I was always hungry and
that it lowered my sex drive. It was very hard to follow.

It is hard for me to make huge sacrifices for such an important part of life
as food. I think paleo is already difficult, but the health benefits for me
are so great that there is no serious way I could deviate. But the CR diet
is a whole other level of obsession with health and food. I do think it is
the only way to sustain greater longevity on a statistically significant
basis.

--Richard