Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:13:29 -0700
Stacie Tolen wrote:
> (LLL says "listen to the baby, not the
> calendar")
> What worked for your paleo one year old? Thanks.
> Stacie

Exactly, listen to the baby and not the calendar ... in the world
today
parents are too often advised by well-meaning friend and relatives to
start stuffing solids into their babies at just a few weeks ... and
generally they are pushing infant cereals!  I have nursed and weaned
five children, now ranging in age from six to 21. No two were exactly
alike in weaning onto solids, but I did wait until they started
"asking"
for food.  I didn't feed them from my plate, specifically because I
wanted to keep their initial diet "pure", without added seasonings,
oils, etc.  Steamed vegetables are good ... they especially loved
chasing peas around the high chair tray, or carrots cut into small
chunks.  I'd boil some chicken thighs specifically for the baby every
day or so, and keep a supply in the refrigerator.  Fruits I'd
introduce
after the vegies and meats so they wouldn't become attached to the
sweet
taste.  You don't have to wait forever between foods, and it doesn't
take long for your baby to be eating a varied diet.  But if you do
have
allergy problems in your family, it really does save a lot of time and
effort trying to figure out what the culprit is if your child happens
develop allergy problems.  My family is fairly free of allergies, but
when my daughter did develop a case of hives so severe her legs
swelled
to twice their size, I knew immediately not to give her cherries
anymore!
Sharon