From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:33:54 -0700
Matt Baker wrote:

>Probably osteo. I'll be having more tests done when I see a rheumatologist
>next week, but so far test negative for rheumatoid arthritis (rheumatoid
>factor, ANA, and sed rate).  I know from back x-rays several years ago that
>I have a couple of really impressive looking bone spurs.

Oh!  If not rheumaoid arthritis, what on earth was he suggesting
methotrexate for?
Have you considered fibromyalgia?  Diagnosed with "arthritis" in my
mid-40s, I have
recently figured out that the pain I suffer is due to fibromyalgia,
which may indeed have
caused the arthritis in my knees by the extreme tightness of calf and
thigh muscles
compressing the joint.  Many people have osteoarthritis and are almost
painfree.

My doc (excellent otherwise) said I'm on my own, as there is nothing
medicine can
do for you.  Maybe that's just as well.  No prescriptions; no side
effects.  But there
is a lot you can do.  I went on an internet expedition and came up with
lots of
possibilities.

* massage (weekly is best)
* yoga (but be careful to move slowly and gently; no extreme poses)
* getting enough sleep (#1 in some books); you should get at least 7
uninterrupted hours
* plenty of magnesium; I find best results with as much elemental
magnesium as calcium;
   I take mine in the form of mag malate
* I take marshmallow root and turmeric daily, also milk thistle for the
liver; I have recently
   read that ginger is good
*omit coffee; it is proinflammatory, not enough to affect everybody, but
your situation is special;
  this includes decaf.

>>Progesterone as part of a bio-identical
>>HRT is supposed to help relax muscles.
>>

>Been on this for four years.

Are you taking estrogen in addition to progesterone (HRT)?  I'd suggest
dropping the
estrogen and going only for progesterone (prometrium ONLY or one of the
creams).

Recently I've been going to acupuncture and so far (2 sessions) it has
been VERY
helpful.  My pain level is way down and my sleep is better

Good luck!
    Lynnet.