From:
Janice Frasche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 05:33:46 -0800
This is tongue in cheek, not intended to scare, but it is a fact.

Most of us handle door knobs, grocery cart handles, money and
have contact with many potential 'germ' vectors in the course of
a day.

Although I went into a different field in the end, a prenursing
bacteriology course that I took many decades ago, had us make
cultures from loose change in our pockets, water spigots and
other sources of ubiquitous public contact. No one need be
insulted by the fact that none of these sources of contact are
sterile. :) But the purpose of the course was not to identify the
species we cultured, just to create awareness. As one learns
later in other courses of microbiology, bacteria (and viruses)
that may have been picked up on those agar plates, cannot grow in
standard inexpensive media, but are far more opportunistic when
exposed to compromised life forms.

So even if you are a handwasher, just handling your change at the
store, not wearing latex gloves while out in public, turns you
into a disease vector too.
--
Janice - proofreading? what's that?
Semavi Anatolians <in California> http://cobankopegi.com