From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:29:45 +0100
(This is my first post- hi everyone)

I don't think anyone on a paleo diet needs to worry about this study,
as it breaks a golden rule of statistics (correlation does not imply
causation) and a golden rule of science (only change one thing at a
time in a study).

You might have people eating a 80% carb, 15% fat, 5% protein diet (say
group A), and people eating a 50% carb, 40% fat, 10% protein diet (say
group B). You would expect group B to be fatter, which fits with what
the study says about high carbs and high protein.  Now imagine that
group A has all its carbs as starch, while group B has half its carbs
as starch, half sugar.  Now, the claim that a high complex carbohydrate
diet is associated with low weight is true.  Taking up the point Paul
Sands made, now imagine that group A are "sensible eaters" but who eat
a lot of wholemeal bread sandwiches and consume (say) 2000Cal daily,
but group B are junk food eaters who love hamburgers (less complex
carbs, more fat) and eat 3000Cal daily.  Now the claims are losing all
meaning.

And finally... the reason why this doesn't affect the paleo diet: most
of the people on low-carb diets are on the Atkins diet and are doing it
to lose weight, so _by definition_ you find more fat people than thin
people on low carb diets.  This is what is meant by "correlation does
not imply causation"- low carbs did not cause them to be fat, high
carbs and/or high fat did.  The Atkins diet is often treated as a
license to eat fat, and an unrestricted calorie Atkins diet can be
disastrous for your waistline.  Not to mention that a lot of people
cheat but would still count as "low carb dieters".  A number of people
eating like this would further tip the scales in favour of "low carb is
good".  Which all boils down to the fact that if you want to correlate
dietary carb content to weight, you must keep all other things equal.
And it still doesn't prove anything.

It's just statistics for politicians: give me the numbers and tell me
what you want me to prove.

Ashley Moran

And while I've been typing this (I got a bit carried away when I
realised how bad the article is- I hope you didn't all nod off) I see
Kent Multer has added a few good points I missed.