From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:36:18 +0000
On Feb 20, 2008, at 3:23 pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Think about this for a minute.  If everyone in the world consumes a
> nonpaleo diet (except for the tiny majority of true hunter gatherers
> living on the fringe), then you can pick out the healthiest
> populations and use them to support eating anything nonpaleo you
> wish.  Simple logic.

I've had the same argument used in other contexts.  I knew someone who
ate wholemeal bread because it's "low GI".  Low GI compared to what -
glucose syrup?  My carefully drawn GI chart including white bread,
wholemeal bread and bananas was completely useless to overcome the
prejudice though.  I didn't get near explaining glycemic load.

Many people struggle with the idea that they have only ever seen a
subset of the possible situations the world could be in.  The best way
I heard this phrased (or a take on the same idea) was a tennis coach
that wrote something like "People come to me and ask me to help
improve their game, so I correct their stance and grip.  They complain
it feels unnatural, at which point I tell them: of course it feels
unnatural, you've been doing it wrong all your life."

Ashley