From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:25:18 -0500
On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:00:54 -0400, Deborah Birkett
<[log in to unmask]> quoted:

>"Low-fat margarine, a minor source of trans fat, should be used instead of
>butter, which contains both trans and saturated fats."
>This is a quote from the last paragraph of the article. It seems to be
>saying very clearly that butter contains both types of fats.

I wondered about just the same sentence as you, Deborah.
First they publish what we know, how bad trans fats are
- much worse than SFA.
Then, at last they recommend margarine above butter.
That's just the opposite.
Margarine is the by far worse source of trans fats in the world.
That's really odd.

I've seen that some margarines claim to be "without hydrogenated fats"
therefore possibly without or with less trans fats.
I'd distrust such a fabric from a big chemical pot anyway.
Whatever the'll do to the fats - it won't make them better.
What they include for any purpose (duration, spreading) will probably be a
risk.
Many commercial spreads ("Nutella" or similar sweet nut spreads) contain a
lot of hydrogenated fats. I know it because a organic manufacturer over
here had problems to make a stable nut spread without them.

In addition the fats in margarines or other ready made preparations will
almost always miss omega-3 fats. They are not stable enough.

I'd prefer butter. --- Well - I don't have butter at home.
Much better is almond paste (white hmmm) or tahini
or pumpkin seed paste.
If you have something to spread it on.

Cheers

Amadeus