Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:14:23 -0700
Debby > Do you have any kids?  Do/would you teach your kids to eat flour
and sugar believing they are poison?

This is a very complicated question and one that vexes me daily.  I have
four kids.   My younger two are 4 and 21 months old, so they're mostly
under our control.  But I also have a 4th grader and a 2nd grader who
eat what they want at school.  Even if we were to control that and give
them sack lunches, they trade their good food for crap.  Or, what really
drives you nuts, somebody's having a birthday every other day it seems
and the moms bring chocolate cupcakes or whatever.  Even if you were
physically there to do so, how do you deny your child that cupcake when
everyone else in the room is chowing down on them?

And as I've said here before, I have in laws who think the diet is
"stupid."  They spent the night over there on Saturday night and, when
I came to pick them up on Sunday afternoon, they were having a little
snack of a bowl of Trix cereal and hot chocolate!  Wind 'em up and send
'em home.

I do believe, however, in what my father always said about parenting.
He said, "they will do what you do not what you say."  If my wife and I
are faithful to eating the right way, to taking care of ourselves,
present the facts in a reasonable manner and allow them to gradually
make more and more of their dietary decisions as they get older,
eventually you gotta think reason will win out.