From:
Inci Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 21:30:20 -0500
 I am a sheep farmer and  take many sheepman/woman holidays (sheepdog
trials) out west. Just about every sheep producers in the flyover states can
only afford to graze their sheep,most owns 25,000 to 800,000 acres that are
arid lands. Another words,usage of pesticides/herbicides are out of question
and grain feeding is not practical (expensive) due to sheep spreading over
extensive grounds.
Down in Arizona/New Mexico,sheep are grazed over the state and federal lands
and are tended by Basque shepherds.I could assure you those sheep have never
seen a single grain albeit what may be at the top of a stalk of a grass.

Unless you all buy a lamb or two from postage stamp sized yard growers where
they need to fatten the lambs with grain,you all are quite safe assuming
lambs are grass fed.

Organic growers will feed their animals grains providing the feed are also
certified organic as we have many farms in the East coast.

Beef cattle  in the flyover states are another ball game,cows are grazed but
calves are sold to feed lots where they are grained with heavy anti biotic
usage. If you all come across a cattle ranch,you can stop and try to buy a
calf or a cow and have it butchered to ensure you will be getting a grass
fed meat.

Halal meat buyers don't really care where they get their lambs,especially in
the East coast,they go from one small farm to another picking up what they
wish to sell and animals are taken to Halal meat packer plant to be
butchered. Some plant lockers will not accept halal type of butchering as
they follow Dr.Temple Grandin's recommendations  for humane handling of
livestock.

Inci Willard

guess though one cannot assume grassfed when one talks about Halal...

Marilyn

Sent from my iPod