From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:55:47 -0500
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, matesz wrote:

> You would need to eat ten ounces of fatty fish daily to supply five grams
> of EPA, and an optimal intake is likely at least that. One tablespoon of cod
> liver oil, the maximum usually used as a daily supplement, provides 1.4
> grams of grams of EPA, 1.3 grams of DHA, 14,000 I.U. (international units)
> of vitamin A, and 1,400 I.U. of vitamin D.

I wonder if 5g of EPA is really essential for good health.  I
believe Simopoulos argues that 1g/day of EPA and DHA *combined*
is adequate.  And studies of fish consumption seem to indicate
that the benefits max out at about 3 servings of oily fish per
week.  That is, people who eat more are not discernibly
healthier.

In addition, the benefits of omega 3 fats are to some extent a
function of their ability to negate the effects of high insulin
levels and excessive omega 6 fat consumption.  If one is already
doing something about the latter two factors, then I'd think a
gram or so per day is adequate.  That tablespoon of cod liver oil
ought to be plenty.

Todd Moody