Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:38:14 -0400
Hi Mary,

Even if your son is eating low carb, I would not avoid serving fresh fruits
or dried fruits.  Many kids I've seen/known enjoy grapes, strawberries,
oranges, apples (good ones--no red delicious), bananas, nuts,  decent sugar
free trail mixes from a health food stores.  You can buy 100% pure apple or
berry juice and mix it 50:50 with red zinger tea or raspberry tea or some
such tea to make a nice alternative to punch.  Put it in a big bowl and
float some frozen grapes and orange slices in it.  That would probably make
it very appealing.  For breakfast, you could make smoothies using fresh
fruits, ice, coconut milk, vanilla, and if you like, soft boiled eggs (which
blend right in and would not seem as offense or gross to SAD kids as raw
eggs!).  I've not met a child who didn't like a nice thick, sweet, creamy
frosty smoothie.  I think these would go over phenomenally wel for a morning
breakfast!  Bananas are most popular with people because they are sweet, but
they can be mixed with berries for a more nutritious smoothie.

These ideas/foods are certainly more healthful than conventional processed
American food and not un-paleo.  The kids you are inviting don't need
ketogenic meals or diets to benefit from wholesome natural foods.  I know
that your son has special needs, but if you make the food too foreign and
restrictive I think it may turn the other kids off.    If you make it fun,
varied, include fruits and nuts or nut butters, which are familiar, and use
chicken and beef rather than lamb, you may have kids who go home and ask
their parents if they can have similar foods at home.  That would have a
more lasting effect.

While you're at it, why not have them bob for apples, peaches, or plums?
They might really get into that!

Cheers,

Rachel