From:
krosenth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:18:04 -0600
I have highlighted a portion at the end.  I'm not sure what animal studies they are referring to and wonder how the studies tie in with our evolution.
Kath

ABSTRACT: Breast Cancer Risk After Caloric Restriction During
    the 1944-1945 Dutch Famine
    [04/07/2004; Journal of the National Cancer Institute]

Background: Data from animal models suggest that caloric
restriction may reduce the risk of breast cancer, although
not all dietary regimens produce similar effects. We examined
whether caloric restriction imposed as a consequence of
the 1944-1945 Dutch famine reduced the risk of breast
cancer in women participating in a Dutch breast cancer
screening program.

Methods: Between 1983 and 1986, approximately 15,000
women, aged 2 to 33 years during the 1944-1945
Dutch famine, responded to a questionnaire about their
famine experience. A famine exposure score, graded as
absent, moderate, or severe exposure, was derived from
answers regarding hunger, cold, and weight loss. During
follow-up until January 2000, 585 women with incident
breast cancer were identified by the regional cancer registry.
The relationship between famine exposure and breast cancer
risk was assessed by weighted Cox regression models, in
which person-years lived for the entire cohort was extrapolated
from data from a random sample of 15% of the cohort.

Results: Women who were severely exposed to the famine had a
statistically significantly higher risk of breast cancer (hazard ratio
[HR] = 1.48, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.09 to 2.01)
than women who were not exposed. Women who were moderately
exposed to the famine had a 13% increased risk of breast
cancer (HR = 1.13, 95% CI = 0.92 to 1.38; Ptrend = 0.016).
The association between famine exposure and breast cancer
risk was stronger for women who were exposed between the
ages of 2 and 9 years (severely exposed versus unexposed:
HR = 2.01, 95% CI = 0.92 to 4.41) than for women who were
exposed at older ages.

Conclusions: The risk of breast cancer was increased in women
who were severely exposed to a short but severe famine decades
earlier. This result is compatible with data from the few animal
studies investigating effects of short-term, transient caloric
restriction.

The full article can be found at:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh087