From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:31:38 -1000
Rachel
>snipped rant<

>Kids learn from their parents.  Conformity kills if you ask me.

Sheesh, between you and Don, you are almost proving the man's conjecture
about being overboard. He brings up a _very_ valid point about the
potential to alienate a child in denying social eating of taboo foods. Do
you have any kids?

Parental ideas about diet often clash with society practices and there is
no easy solution that I know of. Children grow and make an ever-increasing
percentage of their own food choices--as they should. The paleo parent (or
vegan parent for that matter) is treading on potential quicksand if they
are going to hover around their offspring in celebratory social situations
and obsess about what food can be eaten and what can't. Or lecture them and
everyone else about why a food is taboo.

I make reasonable efforts to guide our 19mo daughter's food choices in
public but there have been times when I turn around and she's got an animal
cracker from another child (or one time she was somehow on top of the gift
table at a birthday party and scooping up the cake!). I have taken food
away from her as often as I let it be. There are pros and cons to each.

But ranting about conformity and the common man, well...we are a social
species and few children are going to be as driven as you two apparently
are to be so "extra-ordinary". Kids do learn from their parents and
sometimes spend considerable time being embarrassed by them. What would
your children learn from your attitude which, it seems, borders on contempt
for most people?

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft