From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:54:09 -0800
Usually I go to the butcher counter and ask for beef fat.  They usually give it to me for free!  I get 2 or 3 pounds at a time.

I then put it in a deep baking dish and bake it at about 300 F till I hear no more water sizzling out of it.  I then pour it through a metal coffee strainer and let cool to a wax-like consistency ( you can dip candles with it).  This is tallow.

It's also good for lubricating wooden wagon axles.

Ray