From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:09:35 -0700
Theola wrote:
>For a very technical/clinical (and long and dry) look at the various
faces
>of hyponatremia, ("Hyponatremia is the most common electrolyte
disorder,
>with an incidence of approximately 1% of hospitalized patients."):
>http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic275.htm

Very interesting articles. But I still couldn't find anything to suggest
it's not good to drink plenty of water. Rather, when you drink water,
it's important to also get some electrolytes, specifically sodium.  3 oz
of sirloin, salmon, or chicken has about 50 - 60 mg of sodium. Not a
high amount, but probably all we need. Eating plenty of  meat along with
drinking plenty of water should eliminate problems of too little
electrolytes and of dehydration as well. And there is a growing body of
evidence that chronic dehydration may cause lots and lots of problems:
http://www.healthforge.com/structured_water/prevention.htm

As for paleolithic man not sipping water all day---who's to say? Maybe
that was common. People tend to camp near water. Streams were free from
industrial polutants. You didn't need to find a restroom to pee. Maybe
paleolithic folks *did* drink water all day. Simply speculating doesn't
prove one thing or the other.