From:
Sara McGrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:07:30 -0700
Elainie,

I've only been eating paleo for a few months, but I'm also a nursing
mom. I *knew* that paleo was the appropriate way to eat when I first
heard about it years ago, but I stuck with my vegetarian diet for ten
years before my health declined to the point where I had to do
something about it. Soy foods led me to become borderline hypothyroid,
and I had to exercise excessively against my low energy to keep my
weight down on my high-carb diet. I've also recently discovered that
I'm gluten-intolerant and so is my 20-month-old daughter. Mine and my
daughter's symptoms from celiac's disease (gluten-intolerance) were
gone within three days of starting the paleo diet.

My only concern with our new diet is that my daughter is less
interested in paleo foods than she was in bread, rice, and beans (her
old favorites.) Now she's gone back to mostly nursing. She used to like
some vegetables, but now she'll only eat meat, if that. She's still
growing well (big for her age even), so I'm not too worried. I wonder
if anyone else has had this experience with a toddler reverting to
near-exclusive nursing?

>I have autoimmune thyroiditis which is kept under control by eating a
>grain free diet (because I am hypothyroid) but still have antibodies
>so I decided to cut out the starchy vegetables and the raw goat dairy.
>I'm wondering if there are any other nusing moms on this list who have
>been nursing/pregnant for many years and eating paleo?

Sara