From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:26:16 -0500
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> Your answer reveals that you know of studies which show the correlation
> of CHD to SFA consumption.
> Please tell how you explain this.
>
> My own explanation i told already: SFAs most often comes from mass
> agriculture animal fat which may impact EFA metabolism.

As Ravnskov points out, the correlation tends to be a selection
effect.  You get it by ignoring the data that don't fit.  So,
Keys' "Seven Countries" study, which is quoted by Udo and many
others, is deeply flawed in that it ignores the countries that
don't fit the model.

Mary Enig has pointed out repeatedly that while CHD rates have
risen sharply in the US between 1910 and 1970, SFA consumption
decreased somewhat during that time.  Ravnskov notes the Swiss
study showing coronary mortality rates falling at the same time
that animal fat consumption increased by 20%.

If you haven't looked at
http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-25775/myth4.htm then I suggest you do
so, and spend some time digging out the references.  And of
course, Mary Enig's book _Know Your Fats_ is indispensable.

As we've discussed before, relying solely on meat of farmed
animals for fats probably leads to EFA deficiency, but this is
not the same as showing the SFAs interfere with EFA metabolism.

Todd Moody