From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:50:30 -0400
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:25:08 -0400, Dena L. Bruedigam
wrote:

>Well, if religion is based on empirical observations, then it should be
>relatively easy to prove (empirically) that god exists, heaven exists, hell
>exists, angels exists, the soul exists, there is an after life, etc. etc.
etc.

Religion *has* been based on empirical observations. God-whatever
makes the sun move across the sky. But then we discovered new ways
to model reality and that model became less useful (well, useless
actually). But these new models (like Newtonian physics -- later
replaced by Einsteinian physics) aren't real either. Just more useful.

Like you though I find it difficult to see how religion is useful
now. But many people find it so.

Philip Thrift
http://www.paleofitness.com