From:
"Paul D. Butler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 09:22:45 -0600
Different species (and specific breeds) of animals have different fatty acid
ratios.  Diet has some effect but as Jens so ably points out......because of
their digestive tract, it is very difficult to change the ratios by feeding
different feeds.....although, there does seem to be a fairly substantial
difference in specific fatty acids when you compare grain fed to grass fed.

Remember that not only are the ratios important......the absolute amounts
are too.  For example the Japanese Wagyu breed of cattle produces beef that
has a higher ratio of unsaturated fats to saturated than most other beef
breeds BUT the beef is so fatty that you are still ingesting much more
saturated fat than if you consumed regular beef, not to mention the large
amount of unsaturated fat.