From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:42:00 -0500
Phosphor wrote:

>>all I know is that I've been reading more and more about the
>>connection between high protein or low carbohydrate diets leading to
>>

>elevated
>

>>cortisol levels as a result of its relationship to gluconeogenesis. When
>>

>this
>

>>becomes chronic, insulin resistance and abdominal fat storage increases.
>>

>but why then does this not happen to the Inuit?

They may be genetically different.  The fact that when they (and other
indigenous peoples) are subjected to "civilized" diets they suffer from
things like diabetes at rates *greater* than the general population
suggests something of the sort.  I recall reading that when tested the
Inuit showed only trace ketosis -- wish I could recall where I read it.
 My conjecture is that they have adapted to their way of life by having
a more efficient gluconeogenesis system, thus calling for less cortisol
to keep blood glucose up.  Also, I'm sure that there are non-dietary
factors that make a difference.  Do the Inuit stay up late at night
doing mental work, etc?

Todd Moody