From:
Marianne Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 22:41:53 -0700
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Paula <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I fall off the wagon myself from time to time and also wonder how other
> people can be so strict. Try not to beat yourself up...it's in the past.
> Move on and go back to paleo. :)
>
> Kristina

I am not entirely Paleo, but I'm following Dr. Bernstein's diet, which is
very nearly so. And I'm extremely strict. I think of it like I'm a
carboholic, and compare it to being an alcoholic. You can't have a little
nip, not just because it ravages your body, but the addiction to carbs was
both psychological and physiological. The body's reaction is pretty
predictable, but what goes on in your head is much more difficult to see and
define. And it was advances in this area that helped me the most.

During the first few weeks that every time I passed the kitchen at work, I
peeked in to see what goodies were on the counter (you would not believe the
quantity of sugar these people consume) and think, sad, "I can't have that
any more." It took a long time before I realized I didn't want that junk,
because I felt good and I really fear going back to the way I ate before.
The "I can't have that any more" was me engaging in my old habit of
torturing myself whenever I went on a diet. It took a while before I told
myself "stop it" enough to actually start obeying it.

Eventually, it became "I TRULY don't want that stuff any more. It doesn't
even look appealing, or like food."

One thing that also tortured me in the beginning was that my sense of smell
became much more acute. The latest development I've discovered is that the
smells are stronger, but they don't make me hungry or crave the item I
smell. This took a few months. But, I find the smells satisfying in some
strange way. Fresh bread just smells good without making my mouth water.
Weird.
I've been on the diet since December 1 and lost 40 pounds. My blood glucose
dropped like a stone, too.

Marianne