From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:47:12 -0500
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:16:06 -0500 Cairo Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I have recently been diagnosed with candida and was told I needed to
> increase my fibre intake by eating foods such as buckwheat (which

I'll second Richard's comments about carbs (non-paleo too) would not seem
to be a wise approach to fighting candida according to my understanding.
For lowcarbers dealing with this problem, the basic technique is to cut
out all fermented and dairy foods (cheeses, vinegars, which are also
non-paleo anyway), and to start taking "yeast fighter" supplements.
These can be purchased as a commercial preparation, or the ingredients
can be purchased and used separately.  The main components are
acidophilus (or a fancier "probiotic" combination of other beneficial
microbes), and caprylic acid (which can also be found in coconut, but I
don't know how much coconut would give a theraputic level).

If the problem is serious enough, there are powerful anti-fungal drugs
which your doctor can prescribe.  But this being the paleo list, and my
just generally preferring to fix the diet first, and wait to see what
happens, I'd say try going, or staying paleo, or lowcarb paleo, or just
"yeast fighting" lowcarb.

If you're interested in discussing the yeast fighter supplements, I can
recommend the Texas Lowcarb mailing list, where there is quite a bit of
accumulated experience in this area. Their web page is at
http://www.painpals.com/txlowcarb/.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.