From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:02:04 -0500
An argumentative friend called this to my attention:  July
2002 edition, *Holy Cow! Look what makes you thin*  page
107  [or see
http://www.rd.com/common/nav/index.jhtml?articleId=9525473 ]

Seems there is a person named Michael Zemel who is the
chairman of the nutritional department at the University of
TN in Knoxville.  He has been studying a connection between
a dairy rich diet and weight loss since 1988, sometimes
funded by the National Dairy Council.  Studies done in "lab
dishes" show that a plentiful calcium blood level causes the
body to stop storing fat and begin burning it.  His studies
included human studies comparing three groups: all were
reducing calories with one group eating 4 servings of dairy
a day, one group eating no dairy but taking calcium
supplements and the control group doing neither.  The dairy
group lost the most with the supplement group second.

Now, I don't think dairy is a good idea, and certainly not
paleo.  Zemel says for those who are lactose intolerant,
they can either keep trying until their bodies "adjust over
time" or take lactase.  Neither sounds particularly
attractive.  I *think* the flaw in his theory is that one
can only get sufficient calcium from dairy but I can't back
this up to my friend.  Anyone have any ideas I can pass on?
Thanks.
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee